Rhubarb is one of the first plants that can be harvested in the garden in late April. Rich in fiber, rhubarb stalk is also a very good source of vitamin K, C and calcium. It is however not recommended for people at risk for kidney stones because of their oxalate content. Here is a recipe for rhubarb compote, you can change the cranberries for strawberries for a classic blend.
- 8-10 cups of rhubarb cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup of water and / or juice
- In a large saucepan, boil water and rhubarb and simmer uncovered over low heat for about 2:30 to 3:00 hours.
- About 1 hour with the end, add the cranberries and sugar.