I can not resist a meringue, I was delighted to find the Pavlova in a recipe book, a meringue-based dessert popular in New Zealand. The original version is about the size of a cake, here I made individual servings for 6-8 people. The meringue can be covered with whipped cream, chocolate, lemon curb, just fruits, or according to your wishes at the time.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar, raspberry or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional as it will have a slight cream color)
- Preheat oven to 300 F
- Whisk the egg whites and salt at low speed and gradually increase. When the whites are almost mounted at about three-quarters, begin adding the sugar gradually.
- Continue whisking until the meringue is very shiny, smooth and thick.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice, cornstarch and vanilla extract. Mix gently with a large spatula or a whip.
- On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a sheet of silicone, gently spread meringue in a circle, making edge of meringue slightly higher than center.
- Lower the oven temperature to 250 F and bake one hour. After cooking, turn off the oven and leave the meringue to cool in the oven with the door open to prevent it from cracking and collapsing.
- Once the meringue has cooled, cover with lemon curb and berries.