I just finished eating a piece of this delicious apple cake, still warm and soft. I was inspired by a recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen. The order to assemble the ingredients is different from regular cake recipes, but it works very well.
- 6 McIntosh apples
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange or apple juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, juice and vanilla extract.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, add the eggs one by one and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a tube pan.
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Mix with sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan, spread half the apples on top, then pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples on top.
- Bake about 1:15 or until a toothpick comes out clean.