A really simple, healthy and quick recipe. I was inspired by the recipe of the Apple Sharlotka from the blog “Smitten Kitchen” and I adapted it a little. This cake contains no fat except that used for greasing the pan.
- 6 apples (I used three Granny Smiths and three Mcintosh)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- pinch of cinnamon to taste
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar with the electric mixer for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick, pale and forms a ribbon. Add and mix in gradually the vanilla, rum and flour.
- Peel and slice the apples into pieces about 1/4 inch, then cut the slices in half the other way.
- Cover the base with parchment paper of a round cake pan with removable bottom and lightly butter the sides. The parchment paper will prevent the apple juice from flowing from the mold.
- Put the apple pieces into the pan and spread the batter evenly over the top with a spoon, pressing slightly so that it enters between the apples.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 ° F (180 ° C) for 40 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes, then unmold and remove the parchment paper.