A quick and easy recipe for cherry cupcakes. The cherries can be replaced by frozen blueberries or cranberries.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 c. tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 c. tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (I use the brand Costco Kirkland signature)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted and cooled butter
Icing sugar (royal icing):
- 200g powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 ° F (200 ° C). Grease a muffin pan or paper boxes available in each cavity.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the sugar and cherries.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and then whisk in the milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, do not over mix. Fill two-thirds of greased muffin cups. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until the muffins have risen and are golden.
- When the cupcakes are cooked, remove from oven and let stand for several minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- Mix the egg white and sugar with a spatula. It gets a white cream.
- Add lemon juice and continue beating rapidly.
- Once the cupcakes cooled, drizzle with either a knife or dipped directly into the bowl.
- Sprinkle some unsweetened shredded coconut on top.