Chocolate pudding is so simple to make, but so delicious. I think I even prefer it to the chocolate mousse. Creamy, light and tasty, a traditional and comforting dessert.
- 2 1/2 cups 1% milk (part-skim)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup of cocoa
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup of sugar with the salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in a bowl 1 cup milk, 1/4 sugar, cocoa and cornstarch.
- Whisk the hot milk into the bowl and pour the mixture back into the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding thickens and is glossy.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk about 1 cup of hot cocoa mixture in a bowl with the lightly beaten egg, then put the contents into the saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding is thicker (about 2 minutes). Do not boil. Remove from heat, add the vanilla extract and divide it into small ramekins. Refrigerate or serve warm.
Based on the book Healthy Desserts, Culinary Notebook.