Complex appearance is misleading because it is very easy to make a Yule log. Here is the recipe that I made this year and it was my first log experience. You can do it the day before or the same day.
- 4 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 125 g sugar
- 100 g flour
- 3 c. tablespoons of cocoa
* You can replace the cocoa with 1 tsp of vanilla extract mixed with the egg yolks if you want a vanilla batter.
- 100 ml of water
- 75 g sugar
- 3 c. tablespoons of whiskey or other alcohol
- 100 g chestnut cream vanilla
- 175 ml whipping cream 35%
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 of water
- 1/3 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F) and line a 38 x 25cm (15 x 10 inches) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Clean the whips and with an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour and fold in the beaten egg whites to the mix.
- Pour the batter in the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto parchment paper or a clean cloth and remove the first sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll the cake with paper or cloth and let cool.
- In a small saucepan, boil about 5 minutes the water with the sugar, remove from heat and add the alcohol. Let’s cool.
- In a bowl, whip the cream and mix with chestnut cream.
- Gently pour the syrup inside the log and spread the cream on top. Roll the log and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- In a saucepan, heat water and sugar over high heat until it forms a caramel. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream, while mixing to avoid splashing.
- Serve the log with warm caramel sauce.
[box type=”info”] To easily mount your whipping cream, take your bowl and your beaters a few minutes in the freezer. The cold will help to obtain a perfect cream.[/box]