This is not THE classic creme brulee recipe, but it’s quite decent, especially considering it contains no cream and only 3 eggs. You can replace some of the milk for coconut milk for a stronger taste of coconut.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a saucepan, bring to boil the milk with the vanilla extract and coconut.
- While the milk heats, beat the eggs with the sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl until thick and creamy.
- Add the milk in the egg mixture a little at a time, stirring continually.
- Pour the mixture into ramekins placed in a water bath and bake for 40 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the ramekins.
- Remove from the water bath and let cool, then refrigerate at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with brown sugar and caramelize under broiler for about 1 minute.
Based on the book Qu’est-ce qu’on Mange?