It’s almost fall and Quebec apples arrive in markets. Finally you can enjoy the real fresh apples, very different from what is sold the rest of the year. Here is a winning combination recipe with apples and cranberries. Even those who do not adore cranberries should love the filling less acidic once almost turned into a compote with apples.
- 5 red Delicious apples, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- In a saucepan, cook the apples, cranberries, sugar and water over high heat until the liquid has evaporated for about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly and spread over the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 25-cm (10-inch) Bundt pan.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla and blend well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. With a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Spread the batter over the topping. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Gently loosen the cake from the pan with a knife and unmould onto a serving plate.