Creme anglaise sauce is used with many cakes, floating island or brownie. It is also the base of the ice cream. Here is my first attempt that was successful, even if I did only with 1% milk. I then flavored with three tablespoons Grand Marnier.
- 2 cups of milk or half milk and half cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half or vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, vanilla and half the sugar to a boil and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar with a whisk until light and creamy.
- Slowly pour the milk into the eggs, stirring constantly.
- Pour into the pan and cook over low heat, stirring with a spatula or wooden spoon until the cream makes tape or coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat immediately. The cream should never boil.
- Cool and cover with plastic wrap to refrigerate or serve warm. It keeps up to 3 days in the refrigerator.