- 1 cup pitted and chopped (about 10 dates)
- 1 c. teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup olive oil (vegetable) or melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 c. tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c. teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 c. teaspoon ground ginger or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a loaf pan 9 x 5-inch (2 L) or lined with parchment paper.
- Place dates in a bowl, sprinkle with baking soda and cover with hot water. Leave to cool to room temperature (about 20-30 minutes).
- In another bowl, combine the egg, sugar, vanilla and oil. Stir in nuts and dates with water.
- Sift flour with salt, spices and baking powder. Add and stir gently to mix first, then pour into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool on a rack.