There are several variations of bran muffins you can make according to your taste of the moment. With or without spices, nuts, dried fruit, molasses. Nutritious, low in fat and rich in fiber, they can easily replace bread in the morning (you can even have fun and top them with strawberry yogurt right before eating!).
Yield: 10-12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup of wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 3/4 tassse raisins
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, combine flour, wheat bran, baking powder, salt, spices and raisins.
- In another bowl, combine oil, sugar, molasses, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add milk alternately with the dry ingredients. Stir gently to moisten.
- Pour into muffin cups. Bake about 18 minutes at 375 F.