This year, our old cherry tree produced a huge amount of cherries. These little sour cherries are perfect for compote or jam.
- 4-6 cups washed and pitted cherries
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- In a large pot, boil the water, sugar, lemon juice and rum and cook about 10 minutes until a light syrup.
- Over medium heat, add the cherries and cook a few minutes to keep them whole. Cool and potting.
- If you have too much liquid, remove the cooked cherries and again boil the syrup about 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool, put some syrup in the bottom of each pot and add the cherries. Keeps about 1 week in the refrigerator or freeze for future use.